Over the years the form of communication and the media have changed in ways never before imagined. Decades ago, it would seem impossible that through various multis-creens we could expose and share both a personal and professional life, points of view and create milestones that through their virality could be both positive and negative for each individual.
The facility that we have to connect through the internet with a whole world of possibilities and information that are available with just a touch of the screen, can create certain distortions of reality. Thus begins the journey of terms such as “intrusiveness” where through the power of the word and good management before a community there are characters, who proclaim themselves capable of carrying out certain professional actions and projects, without an endorsement that certifies their knowledge and experience…
This term is the one that has started a series of events that have created a reputational crisis both for an entity of great importance for mental health professionals, and for its president, Dr. Ana Simó.
As a result of assuming a public position on important issues, total coherence is expected both personally and professionally with actions that validate the point of view held on these issues, otherwise it can cause a stir, generate a credibility gap. and trust in your community.
It is because of this ease of access to information and misuse of resources that we must be cautious with the communication we issue, the files we share privately, and the comments we make through conversations through the different platforms.
Being a public figure, whether due to the merits of your work or due to the evaluation granted by third parties, brings with it certain responsibilities. Exposed to face situations that, if not handled intelligently, can create a lot of sensationalism both in the digital world and in the media.
We share with you a timeline with the summary of the actions carried out during this case versus the lessons learned and recommendations resulting from it:
Learnings and recommendations
- Be careful with both voice notes and audio and written notes that are shared, especially if any judgment or comment is made that is not professional.
- Not everything that is thought is said. Prudence is a quality of extreme value in every human being, especially in professionals who practice psychology.
- Tell the full story from both perspectives before making value judgements.
- Acting in the first 24 hours of the start of any adverse situation gives an advantage and marks the way forward in the crisis.
- Do not remain silent since silence is not profitable. The absence of timely information lends itself to the generation of rumors and assumptions.
- Humbly accept when we have failed, apologize in a timely manner for any damage done to third parties.
- When choosing our legal representative, the tone to be used in the media to refer to the case is established, dehumanizing the conversation, and putting a distance between the community.